CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Too Cute! Christmas Low On Dollars, High on Love

Save these ideas for next year!

Our children colored and glittered wooden photo ornaments for their grandparents. This turned out to be such a nice gift. The ornaments were a nice quality, and currently on sale for 39cents, down from 99cents each at Joann's Crafts on Tapo Street. We used markers on one set of ornaments and discovered that smearing glitter glue onto the freshly colored surfaced spread the ink around, and created a nice watercolor-effect. We used colored pencils on the other set and that also turned out pretty. We "painted" on those with dots of iridescent glitter glue and that was a charming effect as well.

My daughter helped me spray paint silver some fallen magnolia blossoms and gumfruit. If you haven't seen these, they might look like nature trash at first. But after a good dollop of silvery or gold spray, they magically turn into festive centerpieces, great for single items of decor, or grouped for a centerpiece on a pretty plate, or further (we never got to this point, but the potential is there) arranged with hot glue (and I'm thinking) on a rounded coat hanger wire to form an interesting wreath (I'll do this next year). I also noticed the gumfruit had convenient holes in which we could stick foil pipe cleaners. My daughter made a "Christmas Ant". I am thinking Christmas Bugs for next year might be nice

My mother-in-law created very striking holiday decor by (somehow) inserting strings of light into a glass block (her husband helped). Tied with a crisp, elegant bow, the overall look was magical. I always think that holiday decor is a guaranteed hit, at least with me. I don't have enough, and what I do have, is eventually broken and will need to be replaced.

My other mother-in-law (I am blessed with two) had an interesting "Christmas Auction". She had arranged several nice gifts on a table, handed out packets of fake money, and the family members had a great time bidding on their desired gifts. It was not only fun, it was a guarantee that everyone got something they liked. Of course, there were moments when in the heat of bidding, a few family members were caught up in battle, and you are left wondering who truly was the victor.

My sister-in-law and her husband gifted families with their bottles of homemade wine. I should mention, however, this is not a holiday hobby, but a serious part time venture, which they've been doing for years. In other words, this is no "grow your beer in a box" experiment. I always enjoy homemade items, in one way or another. Especially when the gift is the result of something they passionately love to do. Several years ago, my father-in-law made sets of nice wooden chopping blocks. He loves to work with wood, and his gifts were cherished and useful.

Our good friends Keith and Tasha, as usual, had very creative gifts. I should say Tasha. Keith just tags along and adds humor. For example, Tasha made a tin of fudge, to which she attached "family conversation starters" cards, where families would use them to start talking at a dinner table, for example. Tasha is very creative. Check out their company website, which she created http://www.beyond-images.com/. Keith gave us Vienna sausage. See?

However, I should mention we gave Keith Coconut Milk and Top Ramen noodles. There are stories behind these foods BUT the reason I mention these items is that, in all honesty, between good friends, it's much simpler to give a canned good (which may recall a personal story) or an imported (single) bottle of beer with a bow.

Happy Hannukah, Merry Christmas, Blessed Kwanza!

0 comments: